Master in Sustainable and Innovative Natural Resource Management (SINReM) is a two year program (120 ECTS). The program enables students to explore sustainability concepts and solutions for the achievement of circular economy. SINReM program is involved with studies and research in resource exploration, sustainable materials development, sustainable extraction and recycling for raw materials sector.
The program is coordinated by 3 European universities; Uppsala University, Sweden, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Germany, and Ghent University, Belgium. In the SINReM program, Uppsala University focuses upon exploration of rare georesources with a focus on innovation management and entrepreneurship. TU Bergakademie Freiberg offers knowledge in sustainable and environmentally friendly extraction technologies. Meanwhile, Ghent University is involved with environmental science and technologies, recovery of resources from waste and sustainability assessment.
In the first year, students are introduced to sustainability challenges of circular economy, while also learning the value chain of raw materials. Students learn to apply and develop sustainable novel technologies for raw materials/metal exploration and recovery from waste streams. Candidates also receive training in entrepreneurship and innovation management.
In the second year, students chose between 4 major specializations: Georesource Exploration (Sweden), Sustainable Processes (Germany), Resource Recovery and Sustainable Materials (Belgium) and Sustainable Societies (Belgium).
The compulsory and elective courses offered at all 3 universities in the SINReM program are mentioned below:
- Problems and Innovations in the Process Chain of Rare Resources
- Clean Technology
- Environmental Inventory Techniques
- Rational Use of Materials
- Resource Recovery Technologies
- Georesource exploration and characterisation
- Innovation Management, Entrepreneurship and IPR
- Raw Materials Network Seminar
- Environmental Assessment
- Physical–Chemical Properties of Rocks, Minerals and Materials
- African Mineral Resources: the Science and Politics of Sustainable Extraction of Mineral Resources
- Resources Chemistry
- Literature Review & Business Plan
- Internship at company of choice
- Master thesis at University of major
The courses offered in the major/specialization module in the SINReM program are mentioned below:
- Sustainable Management of Resources in the Circular Economy
- Chemical Modification of Renewable Resources
- Microbial Re-use Technology
- Environmental Constructions
- Membrane Processes in Environmental Technology
- Environmental Legislation
- Thermochemical conversion of biomass
- Basics of Control Engineering
- Basics of Process Engineering
- Metals and Metalloids in Environment and Technology
- Metal Extraction and Recycling
- Life Cycle Assessment of Materials and Structures
- Materials Science Thermodynamics
- Corrosion and Surface Technology
- Sustainable Chemical Production Processes
- Optical Mineralogy & Petrography
- Imaging Techniques of consolidated and unconsolidated Sediments
- Geology of Building Stones
- Sustainable Processes
- Resources Chemical Technology
- Separation of Strategic Elements
- Microbiology for Resource Scientists
- Biotechnology in Mining
- Simulation of Sustainable Metallurgical Processes
- Sensors and Actenuators
- Professional Training in Earth Sciences
- Challenges of Deep and High Stress Mining
- Critical Metals & Minerals
- Exploration and Environmental Geophysics
Eligibility Criteria for Master in Sustainable and Innovative NRM
Applicants wishing to apply for the program require a bachelor degree (180 ECTS) in science or engineering with at least 15 ECTS in mathematics/physics and 10 ECTS in chemistry. The sustainability of the candidate’s education background will be judged by the admissions committee. The program is open to graduates of chemical engineering, mining engineering, environmental sciences, environmental engineering, geology, mineral/material science. biotechnology, bioscience engineering, chemistry, and other relevant engineering or natural science domains. Selected candidates will be given with the letter of admission on March 15, 2020.
Application and Scholarships
EMJMD scholarship applications and non-EU student applications are open from October 1, 2019 – February 29, 2020. EU-student and AVSA scholarship applications are open until June, 1 2020.
Applicants can register their application here and complete the online application , candidates will be contacted by email@example.com for further instructions. The documents (in English) should be submitted in PDF format, which should include; diploma/degree certificate, transcript, CV, passport, motivation letter and 2 reference letters. Applicants should legalize (as per the country requirements) the transcript and diploma certificate, only selected applicants need to send their documents within 15 days of the result.
Master in Sustainable and Innovative NRM offers tuition fee waivers and scholarships based upon the ranking of candidates carried out by the selection committee. Previous education, accomplishments, motivation and references will determine the scholarship ranking.
For European Students (EU, EEA and Switzerland) the tuition fee is EUR 6,000/year. For Non-European students the tuition fee is set at EUR 12,000/year. ERASMUS (EMJMD) scholarships offers EUR 49,000 for all nationalities.EUR 1,000/month allowance as support for housing and general subsistence along with a travel allowance up to EUR 3,000/year (EU students: 1000/year) is provided for scholarship holders. An installation contribution of EUR 1,000 one off payment (only for non-EU students) is also given. 20 scholarships are available in 2020 for non-EU students and 6 scholarships are available for EU students.
EIT AVSA scholarships, partial scholarships of EUR 13,500 are also granted for all nationalities, with a possibility for tuition fee waiver down to EUR 2,000/year for exceptional EU students. 15 AVSA scholarships and a number of partial tuition fee waivers are also available for 2020.
Find more Master’s scholarships at our website, click here for more