Smart Electrical Networks & Systems master’s program is offered by 5 of the top ranked European universities. Students in the program learn to develop their engineering and entrepreneurial skills in designing, implementing and managing smart grids. Smart electric grids are crucial unit in sustainable power supply which is why it is important to understand the role played by new new technologies, thought processes and new businesses in today’s changing landscape.
The program helps graduate build a career in electrical power engineering i.e. smart grids. Prospective students interested in enhancing reliability of electric power transmission, reducing the cost of electric energy, encouraging the use of new generating sources, and increasing the role of renewable energy in the world are welcomed to apply.
Smart Electrical Networks and Systems description
Students are required to study at KTH: Royal Institute of Technology, in Stockholm, Sweden during their first year. In the second year students need to selected one of the following university:
- UPC:Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya BarcelonaTech, Spain
- TU/e: Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands
- Grenoble INP: Institute of Technology, France
- KU Leuven, Belgium
At KTH: Royal Institute of Technology students will study several core subjects, including: basics of electric energy systems; electrical machines, power electronics, power system analysis, and high-voltage engineering. A compulsory course in innovation and innovation and entrepreneurship in electric-power engineering is also offered at KTH. During the second year, students are required to take a specialization from one of the following:
- Power Electronics as Enabling Technology for Renewable Integration, at Spain
- Energy Management in Buildings and Power Grids, at France
- Sustainable Electrical Energy Systems, at the Netherlands
- Power Distribution and Storage, at Belgium
A double degree will be awarded to the candidate after completion of Smart Electrical Networks & Systems master’s program:
- KU Leuven: Master of Science: Energy
- Grenoble INP: International Master of Science in Electrical Engineering for Smart Grids and Buildings
- TU/e: Master of Electrical Engineering
- UPC: Master of Energy Engineering
- KTH: Master of Science
Admission and Requirements
Bachelors degree with 180 ECTS or equivalent is required in electrical engineering or a relevant field. e.g. energy engineering, electronic engineering, physical engineering or mechanical engineering. Applicants are required to have achieved an average grade of 75%. Applicants must have studied 60 ECTS credits or equivalent in electrical engineering and a minimum of 30 ECTS or equivalent in mathematics (calculus, algebra, probability theory, numerical methods, control theory).
To apply for the program, candidates need to apply via online application system. Following documents are required while applying (in PDF format):
- Bachelor degree certificate and transcript (in original language and translated into English)
- Passport copy
- Motivation letter
- English proficiency certificate (IELTS: 6.5. no section below 5.5, TOEFL: 92, 22 or above in writing, CPE/CAE)
- Additional documents (work experience, internships, awards etc)
There are several application rounds for the Master’s program:
- Round 1: Oct. 21, 2019 to Nov. 17, 2019
- Round 2: Nov. 25, 2019 to Jan. 19, 2020
- Round 3: Jan. 27, 2020 to Mar. 8, 2020
- Round 4: Mar. 16, 2020 to 26 Apr. 26, 2020
- Round 5: May 4. 2020 to Jun. 7, 2020
Fees and Scholarships
For 2020 the participation fee is €15,000 per year, students who get admitted need to pay a non-refundable fee of 250 Euros. Several scholarships are available for 2020 session including; Academic excellence scholarship (limited to admission round 1 & 2) awards 15,000 Euros fee waiver and a 750 Euros monthly allowance for 24 months OR a 15000 Euros fee waiver with no monthly allowance. Energy impact scholarship (available for all admission rounds) offers 10,000 Euros in participation fee, all applicants applying to the program will be considered for this scholarship.
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic results, previous education and university of the candidate along with professional background and affinity with innovation and entrepreneurship. Questions regarding the scholarship application process can be directed to email@example.com, +443331500488.